Friday, November 16, 2012

Layer Cake - 2004 ***



'Layer Cake' is one of those films where the die-hard gangster fans go on and on about how you need to watch it a number of times before you can 'understand how complex' it is. In the same vein as 'Lock Stock' and 'Snatch'. Well I haven't seen 'Lock Stock' and I had no difficulty in understanding AND enjoying 'Snatch' on the first time around, so I'm not sure why this would be any different. 'Layer Cake' has a good cast (except for Daniel Craig who I'm sorry will NEVER be a good leading man *All 'Skyfall' fans jump on me in anger*) but still there seems to be something missing here. The humour, the plot and even the acting is a bit ridiculous. I wanted to see this to be able to say I'd seen it, but I really can't see what all the fuss is about with regards to Matthew Vaughan's direction, it's nothing special. Gangster-comedy-drama rarely works, and it didn't here.

No comments:

Post a Comment