Sunday, July 05, 2009

A Matter of Life of Death - 1946 * * * * *


This is the universe, big isn't it!

What a totally spell-binding film. I was aware of how brilliant it supposedly was but wanted to wait for a while before finding out for myself. Now I've seen it I am desperate to watch it again and again. The cinematography was sumptuous, the acting by David Niven was fantastic and the storyline was so absurd yet strangely haunting. A pilot cheats death after jumping out of his flame-engulfed plane and manages to survive after being washed up on a beach. Soon after he falls in love with June, and has to argue his case of why he feels he should be allowed to stay on earth at the heavenly celestial court. 'A peculiar idea for a story' I hear you cry and maybe also a little dated, but in my opinion Powell and Pressburger have really outdone themselves with this timeless classic of love and how it overcomes both life and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment