Saturday, August 22, 2009

Titanic - 1953 * * *


The Terror, the Sea, the Romance!
I had only seen two Titanic related movies before this one, namely 'Titanic' and 'A Night to Remember' and found this probably the weakest of the two. 'A Night to Remember' focused more on the actual events of the sinking as opposed to this one which was more character based and only focused on the sinking for about ten or fifteen minutes. Although I never normally think this way I actually prefer the James Cameron version of this storyline because it has a good balance of relationships and the sinking. This Barbara Stanwyck version was filmed closest to the actual event and therefore was probably the most realistic in capturing the atmosphere yet it didn't do much for me. Clifton Webb is a great actor, (I've now seen him in this, 'Laura' and 'Whirlpool') and towards the end he really makes me cry because of his chivalry. Still worth a watch but I would recommend 'A Night to Remember' if you want to watch a black and white version.

No comments:

Post a Comment