Monday, August 02, 2010

City Lights - 1931 * * * *


The little tramp with a big heart.
This is the second Chaplin movie I have seen, the 1st being The Gold Rush which to be honest I didn't think hugely of. I have always had a definite idea that I dislike Chaplin, fearing I suppose that he will become funnier to me than someone like Keaton. However, this film was great, hilarious and had a lovely story to boot, and I now feel like I rather misjudged Chaplin just a bit.
His quirky ways have certainly never been matched since and he is a bit of a genius in coming up with slapstick scenes. ( I adore the continuous relationship between him and the rich alcoholic who greets him as a friend every evening and throws him out of his house every morning).
Chaplin will always be remembered up there as a 'great' and this I'm told is one of his finest. If so I shall make it my duty to watch his others to compare.
PS The ending gives you a nice warm feeling inside although some viewers dislike it immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment