Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Million Dollar Legs - 1932 * * *


I've never seen the legendary W.C. Fields in anything up until now and I must say I wasn't thinking of him in a favourable light beforehand. I had this idea he was a wasted, horrible and dreadfully unattractive man who's displeasure in anything was blatently obvious in any films he starred in. But actually I had a nice surprise as I found myself laughing along at his sarcastic wit and dry humour deciding that actually he was a perfectly decent man ( not counting his addictive penchant for aclcohol which was sadly the norm in those days). The story isn't really that amazing but the acting is done with such slapstick precision that it really didn't matter. The residents of a small country that is about to go bankrupt decide to enter into the Olympic games to raise some money, but things don't go to plan. ( On another note it's amazing to see how totally different the clothes and styles of sport are such a long time ago. The fact that there is barely no safety precaution outlined for any of the sporting activities is almost unheard of these days.
A film that should be watched, I'm tempted to snap up WC Fields boxset to have more laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment