Saturday, September 03, 2011

The Bad and The Beautiful - 1952 **



This movie in my opinion was seriously let down by Kirk Douglas. And I'm trying really hard to like watching Lana Turner but she just comes across as rather too arrogant for her own good in most films I have seen her in. She's stunning, but thatdoesn't mean she can actually act. Same as Greta Garbo.

The story revolves around an actress, a screen writer and a director who have all fallen out with Kirk Douglas for individual reasons relating to each of their careers. They are approached by a movie producer who begs them all to reconsider helping Douglas out, and then we are shown a series of flashbacks as to how the situation has got this far. I did think it was probably quite a faithful example of the movie business of the 1950s, but it still didn't grip me in the way I had been so sure it would.

Maybe it will be another film like 'The Thin Man' which I watched and hated the first time, andthen watched and adored the seconds, but I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment