Saturday, September 03, 2011

Buried - 2009 *****



I'll be honest, I put off watching this film for a really long time because I had seen the first five minutes or so and though that Ryan Reynolds was pretty rubbish.

When my best friend came over I decided it was time to dust it off and press play, and I must say I was completely gripped by his acting, and think this is one of the most controversial and powerful movies of the year.

Reynolds plays an American truck driver stationed out in Iraq, who wakes up to find himself buried in a coffin with only a handful of things such as a phone to help him before his oxygen supply runs out.

The first thing he tries to do is establish how and why he is in the situation and then tries to ascertain how best to get himself out. Throughout the film there is only Reynolds, (there are voices on the phone but no other bodies) he carries the whole movie effectively by himself in this small, concealed area, and I think his acting is pretty darn amazing. He has totally gone up in my estimations as an actor.

Many people will probably wonder how you can make a whole film based around this topic, but it can be done, and done to the bet of it's ability. Plus an ending I really didn't expect. A film that will leave you shocked and shaking for ages afterwards.



No comments:

Post a Comment