Tuesday, March 26, 2013

(HORROR) The Chernobyl Diaries - 2012 ***


After feeling that I maybe hadn't given this film the time it deserved by shutting it off half way through the first time, I decided to brave it again the other evening.
Much of my feelings were the same however. The only thing I found interesting was the actual background to the disaster and the information regarding the city or Pripyat that the tour guide gives the characters at the beginning of the film.
A group of friends are travelling around Europe and decide to stop off in Ukraine to see a relation. The relation in turn suggests that they meet his friend Uri who organises extreme tours around Pripyat.
The next day they meet Uri, who drives them to the entrance of the 'zone of alienation' where they are met by guards, informing them that they will not be allowed any further. Uri doesn't take any notice however and drives the group another, secret way which only he knows so that they cane take photos and soak up the atmosphere alone. But then of course, the car stops working...
Well it's what you might expect, and it's quite a predictable film so it shouldn't in all honesty get a high mark. However I'm giving it three stars because I find this horrific and devastating disaster a lot more terrifying than any horror/slasher film I know of, and know that this will be something that keeps me awake at night for a long time coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment