Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Earrings of Madame De...1953 **** 1/2


Max Ophuls has a wonderful way of encapsulating a time period. I found it with 'Letter From an Unknown Woman' and I find the same with this glorious masterpiece. Such a simple story, yet so painfully and emotionally told, this had me on the edge of my seat more than a couple of times. I cared so much about the characters that I had built up quite a lot of empathy for them by the end. The story follows a Countess in late 19th Century Paris who, after acquiring serious debts, decides to sell a pair of her earrings, bought for her by her husband. She decides not to tell him and instead mentions that the earrings have been lost. This simple white lie ends up having disastrous consequences for her and the people closest to her. Max Ophuls in my opinion is a master director. Charles Boyer is also wonderful as the spurned, jealous Count.

No comments:

Post a Comment