Thursday, December 05, 2013

(NOIR) A Life at Stake - 1954 **


I always find myself feeling bad if I have a negative review to say about a noir, it's like I'm personally taking a swipe at it. I can't help it here however, as this film doesn't deserve much credit at all. One reviewer called the characters 'cardboard-like' and I have to say that I agree. Angela Lansbury doesn't really have the personality to be a 'femme fatale' and Keith Andes is neither charming or exciting to watch as the lead role. Andes starts an affair with Lansbury after she approaches him with a business proposition involving the purchasing of some land. However, before long he starts to panic that both she and her husband are plotting to kill him, but cannot get anyone to believe him.
The acting isn't brilliant, and the plot is diluted far too much. In short, just not a very good film.

No comments:

Post a Comment