Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Knack... And How to Get It - 1965 ***



When I was about ten I caught a clip on one of my Dad's VHS's of Rita Tushingham running up and down the road telling 'Rayyype' at every possible moment. I never knew what film that clip came from, but not I've seen this, I do.
For a film that is so positively reviewed as me of the 'landmark' films of the 1960s I found it moderately funny, and just a bit silly. Colin, Tolen and Tom share an apartment, but that is about all they have in common. Tolen is a womanising chauvinist while Colin is calm and sensible. Tolen is so narcissistic that he believes he can teach Colin how to hook up with as many women as he does. This is 'The Knack'. Tom is neutral and doesn't really think much about anything.
Nancy is a skittish, frankly infuriating woman who bumps into them whilst they are out trying to purchase a bed and proceeds to take over all three of the men's lives (and apartment). I thought it was too obscure and too 'quirky' for its time, although I quite liked Michael Crawford not yelping 'Bettayyy' at every available moment. 
If you want a good 1960's film try something like 'Georgy Girl'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment