Thursday, January 09, 2014

The Paperboy - 2012 *****




I would expect anyone with an ounce of a brain to approach this with trepidation after seeing Zac Efron's name on the poster.
Seriously, I haven't seen anything like this ever before, but it was amazing. I really loved it. It sort of reminded me of 'In the Heat of the Night'. In many scenes you can almost feel the heat and sweat dripping off the characters. Nicole Kidman was the standout performance here although I must say (and I'm going to get shot for saying this) but Zac Efron wasn't as bad as I thought he was going to be. The story revolves around John Cusack's character who is languishing in jail after being found guilty of murder. Nicole Kidman is his adoring but spunky pen pal, who, believing that he is innocent, teams up with two reporters to try and investigate the story and ultimately clear his name. 
Kidman's makeup is fantastic, and her character is so gutsy and savvy that she becomes the centre of Efron's infatuation. 
This is a brilliant film. Kudos to director Lee Daniels for coming up with such an excellent end result. 








No comments:

Post a Comment