Tuesday, August 05, 2014

9 - 5 - 1980 ***


I've always got the impression that Dolly Parton was very annoying, and after seeing her in '9 to 5' I think my opinion is justified. Not as annoying however as Jane Fonda, whose whimpish, no backbone spouse portrayal had me fuming at the nostrils.
The three women meet at work, and become close, especially when they find out that they all despise their boss for different reasons, but mainly because he is an egotistical, chauvinistic pig who uses each woman to his advantage in his power game at 'the top'. When they decide to pay him back for his behaviour you can see all women watching the film jumping up in their chairs.
I started off not having much respect for any of these women who let themselves get trampled on by a man, but by midway I was warming up to them, and by the end I really liked them.
The theme tune is a belter, so you can't really stop yourself singing along. As one of the 'standout' comedies of the 80s, I think this film could be a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment