Saturday, March 28, 2009

Stranger than Fiction - 2008


He's not ready to go. Period.

I'll be honest, Wil Ferrell annoys the living daylights out of me. Not in this film though. I have to say this was one of his strongest performances I have seen in a long time. Add Emma Thompson whom I adore and Dustin Hoffman and you have a stellar cast of talent. Harold Crick's life is mundane, lonely and boring, he does everything by routine and leaves nothing to chance. That is until one morning when he wakes up and finds a female voice inside his head narrating his life to him...I can honestly say, that this film is one of the strongest and best that I have seen in a while. I see so many awful films that when a good one comes along it really sticks in my mind and I must say I was thinking about this for a long time after it was over. It stuck in my mind as a weirdly 'Truman Show' type experience but with a satirical poke at the anger after a visit from the dreaded Tax Man. In fact Ferrell was so strong in his part that towards the end I was feeling very compassionate towards him. Dustin Hoffman's role was brilliant as well. Just a really good and strongly focused movie. Recommended.

Rating 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment