Friday, October 08, 2010

L'Avventura - 1960 * * * *




L'Avventura is one of the weirdest and most haunting films I have seen in a very long time. From Michaelangelo Antonioni who brought us the equally mesmerising and iconic 'Blow Up' this is an expertly put together motion picture that leaves you thinking about it for ages and ages afterwards. A small group of friends go for a day out on their boat and decide to spend the afternoon on the rocks of the island nearby. During the course of the afternoon one of the women who earlier played a heartless prank on the others disappears. I won't spoil any of the story for you but rest assured you are in for a tense and heart-stopping film, although my only criticism is that parts of the story are too drawn out and slow. After watching this film I have come to the conclusion that 'The Adventure' is not so much about the missing person but about the adventure the remaining relationships that she leaves behind become a part of. This is one of those films that many people who are into modern films critisise; not a huge amount of action takes place and we are instead left to confront the emotional relationships with the characters throughout the movie. This however is the kind of film I relish because of exactly that. Added to which there is this very weird sort of mysterious vibe throughout the whole movie that gives it a haunting element ( the black and white tone compliments it brilliantly). I have not seen the film with commentary but feel if I did it would elevate my 4 stars to a full fledged 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment