Monday, December 13, 2010

The Postman Always Rings Twice - 1946 * * * * *


This was one of those film noirs that I have kept putting off, scared that once I've seen it I will hate it or not appreciate it like so many fans do. Well I've seen it now, and will never question a film noir as not being brilliant. So many elements of this movie are priceless, Lana Turner is tooth-achingly beautiful (I noticed some traits on her that Marilyn Monroe uses) and I was surprised to see that John Garfield is actually quite attractive in a rugged way ( for some reason I've always associated Garfield with someone like Edward G. Robinson or Sydney Greenstreet looks-wise!).
Nick, a drifter comes upon a roadside cafe and applies for a job there after seeing the middle aged manager's stunning wife Cora. Before long, there are sparks between Nick and Cora that cannot be denied and they both decide that they want to be together, whatever the costs... Luscious camera work, a great story, 2 awesome actors, (a shady male and a femme fatale) and all in sensuous black and white, what more could you want for a 5 star 'Film Noir'? Well worth the wait - Film Noir never disappoints me.

No comments:

Post a Comment