Monday, December 13, 2010

The Spanish Gardener - 1956 * * * * 1/2


The film has been on non-stop on FilmFour and I always miss it or decide it's not what I want to see that particular day. However on Saturday it was exactly what I wanted to watch and so with bated breath I began watching the movie, honestly not expecting much. However by the end there were tears streaming down my cheeks as I contemplated how utterly brilliant the story was and how excellent both Michael Horden and Dirk Bogarde were. Harrington Brande (Horden) and his son are relocated to a beautiful villa in Spain and it is decided that a gardener must be employed, enter Dirk Bogarde. Before long Nicholas (the son) is close friends with Jose (Bogarde), helping him weed the garden and plant flowers. Brande however is desperately jealous of the close bond his son forms believing it to be a sign that his son no longer loves him and decides to do anything he can to part the two.
Michael Horden plays his part exceedingly well and although this is only the second thing I have seen him in ( the first being 'Whistle and I'll Come to You' ) I'll definitely be looking out for more of his work. Dirk Bogarde is on top form as usual and plays his role with heart-breaking results. The ending caused me to reach for the tissues and I am so happy I watched the film at long last.

No comments:

Post a Comment