Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Farmhouse - 2009 * * * *


I was NOT expecting the ending to Farmhouse. And to be perfectly honest it spoilt the whole film, or did it save it?I still can't decide. It certainly irritated me. Sometimes you just want to watch a gorey, disgusting movie for no reason other than to be freaked out and thank god your at home all cosy. That was what I was hoping would happen with this one when I watched it last week. The film focuses on a couple who, after losing their baby decided to start a new life in another part of America ( I think it's Seattle but that's not really important.) The husband refuses to stop and rest on their trip and ends up crashing the car in the middle of nowhere ( the husband's pretty much an idiot and a wimp in this film anyway so you realise how much you dislike him from the very beginning of the film). The couple come across a farmhouse inhabited by a really friendly couple who offer them accommodation for the night, it's kind of obvious what happens next... The middle part of the film is gruesome, I'm not going to deny that, but I actually found it really exciting ( one scene in particular involving a cheese-grater will disturb you for days afterwards) and throughout the film you realise that the friendly couple are really not who they seem to be at all. The film is all about wrong judgements and how your impressions of the characters are not necessarily the way they actually are. However as mentioned before, the ending sort of spoils the movie, trying to make it something it's not. One I may watch again ( and that's very rare for a horror movie).

No comments:

Post a Comment