Thursday, February 02, 2012

The Silent House - 2010 **



I thought this sounded a really interesting idea for a horror film when I first read about the style. All filmed in one single shot with no breaks. To my knowledge this has only ever been done with 2004's 'Russian Ark.' Anyway! It wasn't quite as interesting as I was hoping. I actually thought I was going to be seriously scared but obviously not, and on the whole, I find that foreign horror is generally much more atmospheric than English.

A girl and her father go to an old, remote cottage to clean it out and repair it as they know that the owner will soon be putting on the market. Once inside (all in one shot don't forget) they hear a strange noise from above and the father goes to investigate. Except he doesn't come back. And the girl is trapped.

On the contrary I actually found the continuous shot very annoying and completely lacking in tension, and it just sort of trundled along without much interest, despite the disturbing goings on.

Not one I would recommend, although the idea of a Uruguayan Spanish horror film did originally sound appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment