Saturday, June 30, 2012

Chloe in the Afternoon - 1972 ***


I'm really into Rohmer's films at the moment and am taking much delight in watching one after the other, much as I did with Claude Chabrol some years earlier. I am keen to see all his 6 'Moral Tales' - a selection of films with specific morals running through them, and so far I have seen this, and 'My Night at Maud's.' MNAT was superior by far, as although I found his next offering a delight to watch, I couldn't help being put off by the ugliness of the lead female and the disturbingly male behaviour of the lead man. The whole film seems to revolve around the typical arrogance most males seem to exude when they get married, that they are somehow 'missing out' on all the other women who they could be with. This one particular man raves on about how much he loves his wife and how he would never be unfaithful to her, but when an old flame 'Chloe' turns up they begin a weird cat and mouse game of chasing each other and then pulling back when the other becomes interested. As soon as she shows interest in him he gets a sudden attack of conscience over his lovely wife who has at this time just given birth and rushes back to her. Pathetic. A good film, but the two leads repulsed me too much with their behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment