Monday, June 25, 2012

Ruthless People - 1986 ****


I must say the cover of the film was what put me off watching it for such a long time. It looked so dated and a bit tacky to be honest. But sooner or later I realised that I have seen the majority of 80s comedies and really needed to watch it to 'tick it off the list.' Well all I can say is I'm so glad I finally watched it. It was hilarious. Bette Midler is on top form and Danny DeVito made me chuckle almos constantly throughout the film.
DeVito plays a filthy rich businessman who has decided he wanted to get rid of his wife so that he can move his mistress in instead. However, luck seems to be changing for him when his wife is kidnapped by his ex-employee and girlfriend who then hold her for ransom. However, the kidnappers are meek, mild people who wouldn't hurt a fly and instead of killing her because DeVito refuses to pay the ransom they instead let her stay with them. Then the tables turn...
Hilarious. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this was one of the best comedies from that decade I have seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment