Monday, June 11, 2012

(NOIR) He Ran All the Way Home - 1951 ***


An interesting film, but not one of the best noirs in my personal opinion (owing to the weak story and ridiculous co-star of Garfield).
John Garfield is electrifying and completely steals every scene he is in, which makes Shelley Winters pretty pale in comparison.
Garfield plays a thief and down-on-his-luck kind of guy, who plans to steal some money off an acquaintance with the help of his only friend. This however goes horribly wrong when his friend is killed, and Garfield is then on the run. He befriends a gullible spinster at a local swimming pool and then ends up taking her whole family hostage.
I don't think I have ever seen a film with Winters where she didn't annoy me to the point of switiching off and this was no different. Her manner and utterly pathetic demeanor does her no favours when her family become hostages and I found myself having no sympathy for her.
Garfield is the highlight of this film, and could probably have carried the whole thing off himself without any help from any other characters. It's a shame he didn't, but his last film before his death is one that will stick in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment