Saturday, June 30, 2012

My Night At Maud's - 1969 ****1/2


Strange to see two such different films from the same year (this and 'La Notte') but this was far superior to the other. My first experience of Rohmer was a happy one, and I was riveted throughout the entire movie as I experienced a potential candidate (in my eyes) for best movie of 1969. Another example of New Wave cinema from France.
A catholic man in his thirties with strict morals about fidelity and marriage bumps into an old friend on Christmas Eve who takes him back to a female friend's flat. The woman, Maud, spends the evening talking to the two men about everything from relationships to religion to politics. It then starts to snow, and the man is offered shelter at her flat until morning. With this, his morals fly out the window.
This results in a fascinating movie with some completely natural acting. I was so moved by the woman who played Maud's acting that I took in every single movement and word that she did and said with much gusto.
Another hidden gem in my eyes, a bit like 'The Soft Skin' by Francois Truffaut.

No comments:

Post a Comment