Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ab-Normal Beauty - 2004 * *


Drop Dead Beautiful.
Looked a great concept for a film. It wasn't. I didn't understand half the movie and I know I'll get slated for saying that I didn't like it because I didn't understand it but really when you feel like a movie is a blur what's to like?? So many scenes were just a mish-mash of ideas thrown together that it became unappealing almost immediatly and I don't mind saying I was watching the clock the whole time. The main character has an unhealthy obsession with photographing dead animals and people ( she photographs a girl who throws herself off the top of a building for goodness sake!) and through her photographs she starts to think she is going slightly mad. Add a sexual abuse storyline from ages ago into the mix and you have one mediocre excuse for a horror film.
I for one love murder mysteries such as Agatha Christie where the viewers (or readers) will find the culprit simply by eliminating unlikely suspects, so that at the end all the clues point to one person. You will not find that here, and I swear at the end of the film you will be so disappointed. One reviewer stated that 'the film makers are not obligated to present us at the beginning of the film with the main culprit or perpetrator to allow us an easy ride but actually it is usually desirable to save our sanity otherwise we have nothing to work with and no clues to follow when watching the film! Poorly made.

No comments:

Post a Comment