Sunday, April 04, 2010

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a day - 2008 * * * *


I've been looking for you all night, and I believe all of my life.

Having not read Winifrid Watson's book that made this the smash hit that it now is, I'm so glad I've seen the film, as it really encapsulates early 20th century London and makes me dream of what it must have been like. After getting unfairly fired from her job and made homeless all in one day, Miss Pettigrew finds (by mistake) herself in the house of a beautiful American singer/actress named Delysia who mistakes her for the new housekeeper/social secretary and gives her the most amazing day of her life. This is a heart-warming film with plenty of flashes of 1930s glamour thrown in, and Amy Adams is brilliant and as quirky a thing as you ever did see in her role as Delysia whose past is not exactly what it seems. . .
A lovely rainy day movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment