Thursday, July 15, 2010

Case 39 - 2009 * * * *


Some cases should never be opened.
One of the things I liked about this film was that it wasn't just a 'typical' American horror film, and half way through it actually started to freak me out. The story centres on Renee Zellweger as a social worker who gets assigned to a case of supposed child abuse on a young girl. Going against everybody including her collegues, Zellweger takes it upon herself to 'save' the child, inviting her to live in her house and away from her supposedly psychotic parents, little knowing what she is actually letting herself in for.
I'm not mad on Renee Zellweger and she had the most irritating and dry looking lips throughout the film which was rather distracting. However her acting was quite strong and I was particularly happy to see Adrian Lester pop up as her manager ( although his American accent left a lot to be desired!). I guarantee you will not guess the outcome of this movie when you start watching it, and that is one of the things I love about films - when you suddenly get an ending thrust upon you that you are totally unaware of.
Worth a watch. Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment