Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sex, Lies and Videotape - 1989 * * *


"All I have been thinking about all week is garbage. I mean I just can't stop thinking about it."
Andie McDowell will NEVER be a good actress and I don't care what anyone says. In everything I have seen she constantly acts as though she is trying to repeat lines she has learnt off a script in a very rigid and wooden manner. Her part wasn't much better in this, but at least James Spader was there to provide some proper acting.
This story centres around a couple, namely Gallagher and McDowell who are living a very unhappy and unsatisfied marriage. Even more so since Gallagher started sleeping with McDowell's sister on the sly. Unexcited by her life, McDowell finds solace in Gallagher's visiting friend Graham(Spader) who comes with a bizarre and unsteady past that she can only hope to uncover.
Spader is a great actor, and he portrays this pathological liar character superbly. I don't much care for Peter Gallagher or his character in this but he seems to keep popping up in films I am seeing without me realising so maybe it's a sign that he's not too bad.
Not one of the best films out there but one that people are always telling you to see, so go ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment