Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - 2004 * *


I'm generally not sure what to say about this movie. I knew that it would be weird simply from the name and the fact that it is directed by the same bloke who inflicted 'The Royal Tenenbaums' on us but I had no idea it would be this weird.
Bill Murray is a great comical actor and films like 'Groundhog Day' and 'Scrooged' really make the most of his talents. But I felt here that his character was just not giving Murray enough.
We follow Steve Zissou as he embarks on a journey to the bottom of the sea to find, capture and kill the curious spotted shark that ate his best friend then disappeared a few years ago. Rather strange you say; well yes it really is. On the way he meets his long lost son ( Owen Wilson of course had to have a part in this movie as he seems to with all movies by this director), a pregnant lesbian reporter played excellently by Cate Blanchett and battles with his estranged wife Anjelica Huston over the absurdity of the whole thing.
Some scenes are really lovely i.e. when the group are underwater and we see lots of computerised yet beautifully bizarre rare fish but mostly the film has no comic value and seems to serve only as an important quest film. I much prefered 'The Darjeeling Limited' ( in fact I loved that) to this as I found enough in all areas to keep me occupied whereas this was so surreal most of the time that I wasn't able to really connect with it. Que the millions of fans who's day I have just put a damper on because I didn't rate this as a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment