Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Two Lovers - 2008 * * 1/2


Sometimes we have to leave everything to find ourselves.
Despite the glowing reviews for this movie as the best 'arty film of 2008' I really found myself disappointed. Added to which I spent ages looking for Hilary Swank in the cast list and couldn't find her, only to find this woman Vinessa Shaw was her! The look so alike! But anyway. This is rumoured to be Pheonix's last film and I must say that he certainly won't be going out with a bang! His acting was totally wooden, his character was ridiculously one-dimensional and the end really frustrated me. I'm not sure whether he can't act ( he seemed okay in 'Signs' but that doesn't mean anything) or whether he was such a good actor that he could expertly portray an awful character like that. I was disgusted by Paltrow's pathetic, whiny character who kept having arguments with her lover who also happened to be married with children ( resulting of course in her constantly calling on Pheonix whenever she was upset) and felt dreadfully sorry for Vinessa Shaw's nice and unassuming character who was effectively being used by Pheonix as a back-up.
I'm not sure if this movie is supposed to be trying to explain the way a man thinks ( he would rather clasp on to a drug-taking, adventurous party animal than have a decent and loving relationship with a kind and sensitive person) or is just doing a bad job at trying to amuse a mixed audience capable of seeing stereotypes.
I had hoped for a lot more with this movie but am glad I saw it all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment