Friday, February 06, 2009

Dracula - 1991


True Love never dies
Well I should have said it before, this is what I get for thinking remakes of old and genuinely scary movies may actually be a good reason to switch on for over 2 hours. What a surprise to find out that this movie really held none of the suspension, terror or panic that 'Nosferatu' or 'Dracula' starring Bela Lugosi did. The acting was barely watchable, and I was astonished to find one of my favourite actors Anthony Hopkins in a role that barely supported him. Winona Ryder appeals to me very rarely and here she was just a mess of a part, as was Keanu Reeves as the 'strong and faithful' Jonathan Harker. So faithful in fact that he took part in sexual grinding with three monsterous looking women on a bed in Dracula's castle. I am aware Harker's character is meant to be taken advantage of by Dracual's female vampires but in earlier versions of the story he does not appear to be gagging to have sexual intercourse like he does here. The story of Dracula is meant to be sexual and passionate but here it goes too far. Because of this and because I feel so protective over the earlier films I cannot rate this highly.
Rating 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment