Saturday, November 14, 2009

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein -1948 * * *


'Everybody knows Dracula isn't real,' 'Yes, but does Dracula himself know this?'
This was my first A+C film and I was surprised that I'd missed some very funny films. The comedy is a little like marmite, you either love the fact it's very obvious and almost Laurel and Hardy like (although not nearly as good) or you hate it. I liked it. It doesn't exactly make you collapse in hysterics but it does raise a smile. And the pair are very funny together, bouncing off each other with rapid speed. The highlight for me was seeing Bela Lugosi in a comedy! Although he wasn't purposefully acting in a funny way he did actually make me laugh! Right from the first time you see him he has this amazing presence. He brought a touch of elegence to the movie that I think would have otherwise lacked it. I would definately watch another of the pair's movies but I'm not sure if I'd be viewing this again; there are funnier films out there to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment