Saturday, November 28, 2009

Blue Velvet - 1986 *


It's a strange world.
I will never ever understand the excitement and notoriety of this film. I went into it with high expectations after reading lots of positive and was expecting to be amazed. I was amazed but it was not in a good way. I can see absolutely nothing of credibility here. The acting was mediocre except for Dennis Hopper's gripping and uncomfortable portrayel as a sadistic drug dealer who performs perverted and obscene sexual acts on his illicit sex slave Isabella Rossellini. The premise is pretty poor and in no way worthy of being in the top 100 movies centering around a young man's discovery of a human ear. I am aware that David Lynch was trying to concentrate more on the surreal and eerie elements of the movie rather that a first class script because it really is an embarassment to watch and see how most of the characters woodenly interact with each other. I could have experienced more with either a brilliant script or an amazing plot but seeing as neither occured in this film I was happy to see the end of it and will not be bothering again; some movies are too far above my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment