Friday, January 22, 2010

Dans Ma Peau - 2002 * * * *


It will get under your skin.
I sort of compared this movie to AntiChrist (2009) because of the descent into madness by one woman whilst the male in her life tries to help her overcome it. Unlike AntiChrist however, the acting was far from good, although having Directed, Produced and acted in the same film could probably take it's toll on anyone. The story matter is pretty gruesome, about a young woman who, after falling on some machinery at a party ends up starting to cut herself more and more until she is actually removing pieces of her flesh in the process. You watch as she slowly goes mad, even going as far as to start stabbing her arm with her fork held under the table whilst at a work dinner. From the way she acts you can never tell whether she actually seems to be enjoying hurting herself or whether she is doing it because of a compelling need that she cannot shake. I can see why this movie has slipped into the horror genre and I must say it is the one film (except AntiChrist) that I have seen that actually left me feeling physically sick. The premise is so real, and the scenes are incredibly graphic, and that scares me more than a ghost or slasher movie, for many people actually act like this when they are going mad, and self harm is unfortunately not an uncommon thing. Fair enough it is questionable that someone would actually start eating their arm in the process, but it really makes you wonder how far someone would be prepared to go if they really are having some kind of breakdown. Although gruesome, I can see the initial message that Marina De Van is trying to put across, that we should be more aware of mental illness, and so on that score I think this film works. It certainly shocks you so much that anyone watching it would go to any lengths other than act the way she does. Although it really disturbed me whilst watching it (and after 2 viewings there is no way I can stomach a third) I think it achieved what it set out to do, and therefore it does deserve some kind of aclaim.

No comments:

Post a Comment