Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Gold Rush - 1925 * * *


The Little Tramp does good.
I've never seen Chaplin in a feature length movie and didn't think I'd be able to stand watching him for a full hour and a half. I mean he's funny but not that funny. The story is very funny which helped to keep my attention but I still found myself drifting off and thinking of other things. Chaplin can be hilarious, he really can, and several scenes found myself in hysterics, but after a while his 'feel sorry for myself' routine wears a bit thin. Keaton is funny throughout his movies but Chaplin isn't. I'm not saying the film wasn't good, only that if we were treated to half the length of it I may have rated it more, because by the time it got to the end I was bored and didn't actually care what happened to him! I will check out 'Modern Times' though to see if I feel the same way at the end of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment