Sunday, January 17, 2010

Little Fish - 2005 * *


The Past is right here.

Cate Blanchett can act, there is no doubt about that, but when she is stuck with an awful script like this depicting ex drug addicts hooking up with their ex partners who are still on the drugs you realise she won't be getting very far. This is a film shot with an independent feel, and sadly, although we have a cast of a few good actors we still can't get anything out of the story. It's not the gritty realism that I dislike, it's the utter hopelessness of it all that I can't stand. Maybe I am being unfair, and should be rating this movie higher because it's more realistic than many I have seen. However I feel that the direction and script feels so rigid that there is no way the story could ever work, howeverbleak and raw it appears to be on the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment