Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Canterville Ghost - 1997 ****1/2


I remember having a tape of this story which I listened to avidly when I was 10 or 11. It never scared me despite the subject matter sounding quite eerie, but actually used to help me get off to sleep. And I remember it still to this day (I'm 25 now).
Patrick Stewart plays the ghost of Sir Simon De Canterville who finds it impossible to get any peace once a loud and brash American family move into his house. Added to which, he is destined to walk through the house groaning and clanking his chains for eternity until a curse put upon him by his late wife's family is lifted. which doesn't go down very well for anyone. The only people who believe in him are the three children, (the two young boys and the teenage girl played very well by Neve Campbell) leading them to set up an elaborate production of Hamlet (with him playing the ghost of Hamlet) to show the parents that he does in fact exist.
Campbell soon becomes close to the ghost who recounts to her the nature of his and his wife's death and she realises that only she can lay him to rest forever after finding the riddle of Canterville hall in an old book in the library.
I just loved this film, and I loved Patrick Stewart, he was just the epitome of who I imagined Sir Canterville to be when I listened to my audio tape all those years ago. It also made me cry bucket loads. Lovely film. And no blood or half naked people in it. The film simply had a great storyline instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment