Monday, April 16, 2012

Nights in Rodanthe - 2008 ***



If I hear that one more of Nicholas Spark's books has been made into a film I may check into an asylum. Sparks has a knack of producing almost identically themed stories, usually to do with relationships and loss and drawing them out until the reader just gives up.

He's done the same here, and this time Gere and Lane have teamed up once again to portray two characters that can either make you sob into your cushion or glare at angrily throughout the whole movie.

Lane goes to her friend's beach house to get away from a difficult marriage, and Gere goes with the initial idea of reconnecting with his estranged son. They are the only two people there, and therefore start talking and realising that they have things in common. One thing leads to another etc etc. Then a tragic accident changes everything. There is one very emotional moment towards the end, but I really think if you want a weepie it would be best to go for 'Bridges of Madison County' (which this film reminds me a lot of).

I like Gere as an actor, and Diane Lane isn't bad, but I think I preferred them both in 'Unfaithful.'

No comments:

Post a Comment