Thursday, August 11, 2011

Gaslight - 1940 ***



I was surprised how little I enjoyed this compared to the far superior (in my opinion) version with Charles Boyer and Ingrid Bergman which is one of my favourite films.

The story is basically the same, but with the names and locations changed.

A man and his wife move to a beautiful address in London where a mysterious murder took place years earlier. The man begins to accuse his wife of misplacing objects and forgetting things and soon she believes that she is going mad, as she can also hear noises from above, although it is clear that there is no one else there.

'Gaslight' is an appropriate name for this movie, because most of the action is shrouded in the foggy depths of 19th century London, and it really adds to the mysterious and eerie feel of the story. Worth watching, but if it's a choice between this and the later version then I would choose the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment