Tuesday, December 01, 2009

AntiChrist - 2009 * * *


A Crying Woman is a Scheming Woman.
Let's get one thing straight, this movie was brilliantly acted, and its pretty hard to find a film with only two actors in it that can carry itself and make you stay gripped to your seat. I was gripped but I also felt like being sick a number of times. I am aware of the Dogme style of acting as I performed 'Festen' at university and so could understand the method. Certain scenes I felt were far too graphic to be shown and there were moments where I did want to turn the thing off. But I stuck with it until the end and despite being confused most of the movie it did what it said on the tin and made me think for a long time afterwards. I cannot pretend to understand the symbolism behind the film and think I would need to see it a few more times before it even started to make sense which is something I don't really want to do as I feel drained enough from one sitting. It is true what they say that a powerful film can really emotionally and mentally effect you and I've literally had to sit in silence for about half an hour just going over and over what I've seen. I guess in a way this film does work because there are so many ways you can interpret what you have viewed including feminism, sexism etc and I think really that it's up to you to understand it however you want to. This is one movie that I'm not sure how to rate. Usually I go on love or hate factor when I'm reviewing but on this occasion I just don't know how to react. I would give it full marks for captivating my attention but I didn't actually enjoy the story or what was happening to the characters. But then again I would also give it full marks for character performance. I think everyone (well people over 18 anyway) should watch this, but certain scenes including the ones towards the end will leave you emotionally disgusted regardless of whether you are a man or a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment