Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Dreamers - 2003 * * * *


All dreamers must eventually wake.
I put off reviewing this movie for quite some time because I honestly don't know what to say about it and I still find I am slightly lost for words. The acting is superb but the story is just like nothing I have ever seen before in my life. The film revolves around an American student who comes to study in Paris at the end of the 60s and strikes up a friendship between a brother and sister who live in a gorgeously overwelming yet empty house which is left free for them all to use after the parents of the siblings leave for a long 'trip.' They spend their days quoting movies, dressing up as their favourite characters and drinking wine (sounds divine). However dreaming is shortlived and along with awakening there comes reality. The American finds himself in a surreal menage-a-trois which hints at incest, which try as he might, he cannot tear himself away from.
There is some strong and graphic nudity here, some moments are too embarassing to watch but there is something totally compelling and addictive about this film. Whether it be the decade, the location or the soundtrack I don't know, but for one thing you will find it hard to tear your eyes away from the screen. Do not be put off by the mention of the word incest, for it is handled tastefully and surprisingly beautifully if that is at all possible).
For added fun try to guess the titles of the movies they quote before they answer, I got nearly every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment