Monday, December 28, 2009

The Changeling - 1980 * * * *



An experience beyond fear.


I'd put off watching this movie for a long time. I've seen pretty much all the films that are known as 'really haunting' expect for The Innocents and didn't want the experience of seeing this to be over too quickly. However after watching it I was thinking about it or days afterwards and can honestly say that it frightened the daylights out of me. George C. Scott was brilliant in his role as the sad and lonely composer who moves into a large, old house after a fatal accident involving his wife and child. Soon he realises that he is not alone in the house and that something will not let him rest until it has made itself known.
I specifically waited until Christmas time to watch this to give myself an extra thrill and was shivering with nerves by the end.
Contrary to popular beliefs there are some similarities with the recent 'Changeling' (2008) although that is based on a true story.
I'm relieved I've watched this now and do think it is one of the scarier movies that I have seen in recent times. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to be scared and appreciates a film with no violence (except malevolent spirits) and sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment