Monday, December 28, 2009

A Royal Scandal - 1945 * *


Saucy and naughty
I am a wide collector and obsessor of old movies, and will be quick to jump in and defend them when anyone puts them down. This film however was dated. It hasn't aged well, and the jokes seem pointless and very unfunny now. I rarely feel this way about an old movie, and like the fact that the film is old, but there is a difference in watching a film that has been able to carry itself and it's story well through the years, and one that feels almost stuck in a time warp. That is what I felt with this one. Tallulah Bankhead was unforgettable however and I think that if she hadn't been in it this movie would have fallen flat on it's face. She has an amazing screen presence and I don't think anyone has ever been able to match her.
I wouldn't recommend this, it's neither funny enough, nor strong enough to contend as a good film.

No comments:

Post a Comment