Thursday, February 17, 2011

Another Woman - 1988 ***


I can't really say much that's good about this film, the pace was dreadful, barely anything happened and the characters were intensely dislikeable. Gena Rowlands stars as a married woman having a mid-life crisis who, after renting an apartment downtown to do her writing in, begins to hear conversations coming from next door where a psychiatrist is talking to his patient (Mia Farrow). As she listens she begins to analyse her own life and understand what impact she has on the people closest to her, be it good or bad.
I really couldn't get on with this film and I wish I had been able to. There is something about Gena Rowlands that I don't like as an actor and I was hoping seeing her in something different ( after nearly falling asleep watching her in 'A Woman under the Influence') would make me like hr, but it didn't. Compared to many of Woody Allen's movies that are fast paced and zappy, (a bit like 30s screwball comedy) this was like a lead balloon.

No comments:

Post a Comment