Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dark Tales of Japan - 2005 * * *


This movie took three goes for me to get into it, and even then, the beginning made me feel like maybe I was wasting my time, but in fact this DVD really ended up freaking me out. The disc is set into 5 short films by five different directors and they all had different effects on me. The First, a tale about a mysterious urban legend known as the 'Spider Woman' was very disturbing, the graphics were excellent and the end caused me to start checking the lounge for any 8-legged beings. The second ' Crevices' barely held my attention throughout because of the slow pace of the filming, not really scary but a couple of parts made me jump. 'The Sacrifice' made NO sense whatsover, a jumble of a film that, thank goodness wasn't the length of a full feature. 'Blonde Kwaiden' was just ridiculously silly, about a man who goes to his Hollywood hotel room and falls asleep on his bed, only to be awoken with the feeling that someone is lying next to him. The last short 'Presentiment' was in my opinion the most disturbing, it wasn't scary like the first short but it was so bizarre and weird that it really frightened me. A man commits embezzlement at work and rushes, relieved, to the elevator to begin his new life with his mistress. However, inside are three strange passengers who begin to unravel his sanity, bit by bit.
A worthwhile DVD to watch ( mine only cost £2!) and you do get to see a variety of work from some well known Japanese directors, but I wouldn't expect anything in the 'Asian Tartan Horror Extreme' range.

No comments:

Post a Comment