Monday, February 28, 2011

Stage Fright - 1950 ***




Let's get one thing straight. I love Hitchcock. The master of suspense couldn't possibly be a better name for this genius who has left me terrified, disturbed and amused for years and years from his superb film-making. 'Stage Fright' just didn't do it for me. I felt that Marlene Dietrich was really miscast in this film and that the highlight was from Alastair Sim, who gave his usual dry and witty commentary throughout the small part he had. Jane Wyman will never be one of my favourite actresses, I found her rather infuriating in 'The Lost Weekend' and she wasn't much better in this, constantly giving off the same facial expressions of bewilderment and panic as she did in the latter. This time, instead of playing the needy girlfriend of an alcoholic she plays a wannabe actress who struggles to help her friend out of a jam when she discovers that he has been accused of murder.
The film is good, and worth seeing because it's by Hitchcock but the ending was just a shambles and no way near as amazing as some of his earlier or later work. (Michael Wilding was rather good though).

No comments:

Post a Comment