Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad world - 1963 * * *


Ok lets get one thing straight, the reason I gave this movie three stars is because of Terry Thomas, I adore him as an actor and find everything he is in hilarious. I found it a little odd that he happened to be in a film that was a sort of mixture of lots of other really funny 60s movies ( Those Magnificent Men.., The Great Race, Monte Carlo or Bust)that he had been in, they were all about a million times funnier than this, although for his part he really stole the show for me. Added to which this film dragged on and on and on. And on. I always test my enjoyment of a movie by seeing how many times I check the clock and I spent most of this film with one eye on the minute hand. The jokes just weren't that funny and seemed forced, the who idea of the movie (a dying man tells his rescuers that he has lots of money buried somewhere under a big 'W' and they all decide to drop what they are doing and find the money first) has been done loads of times before. Even Spencer Tracey wasn't right for the part, he wasn't funny and he wasn't serious, a sort of weird and slightly creepy combination. And also, the title of the film is ridiculous, I don't understand the need for the repeated 'Mad' or am I just getting cynical in my young age?
As a film that was talked about by people I respect as being amazingly funny I felt really let down, all in all its a 'Bad Bad Bad Bad film...

No comments:

Post a Comment