Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bus 174 - 2002


The longest day...

I must have mis-read the blurb on the back of the DVD because I expected it to be a moderately entertaining piece of drama. What I got instead was a nail-biting and agonising 2 hours of live footage and interviews centering on the tragedy of Bus 174, the vehicle that was hijacked in Rio de Janeiro 2000. In hindsight the real tragedy was the lack of properly trained police who were unable to deal correctly with the situation and who ended up costing a life in the process. More interviews and documents about the terrorist in question were enough to keep me glued to the screen until the very end. I must admit I have never watched proper live footage of a hijacking before and it really effected me emotionally. Seeing close-ups of the hostages' faces on the bus was devestating. I really recommend this documentary.

Rating 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment