Tuesday, February 02, 2010

36 - 2004 * * * *


With friends like these...
I think I must have watched a bit of the film 'Heat' years and years ago and I remember not being very impressed. So I wasn't going out of my way to see this knowing that it was simply a french version of the same film. I think I was keen to see it more than anything because of seeing Auteuil in 'Hidden' and loving that. However I found that the acting in this movie was amazing and Daniel Auteuil is fantastic in his role. Watching this film you realise how corrupt the police can actually be especially when people who you work with and who are supposed to be there for you can end up being your worst enemies. This is the situation that Auteuil and Depardieu come to in this film. This film is also based on a true story and named 36 because the person this is dedicated to died on the 36th hour of his job. That makes it all the more poignant, and while there are some pretty gruesome scenes (including one involving a naked man which I won't go in to) I feel that unlike American films, the violence is needed here, and is not over glamourised just for the sake of an explosion. Police work is dangerous and violent and that is no lie, and so what better way to show it than in reality. I think really that although this film is based upon police going after certain people who are in gangs etc that really the premise is how two-faced the force can actually be. I was more interested in the relationship between Auteuil and Depardieu than in the men they happened to be looking for throughout the film. I recommend this film highly to anyone who wants an inside look at life and relationships in the police force, added to which you get to see some beautiful scenes of France which makes it just that bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment