Sunday, February 07, 2010

Public Enemies - 2009 * * * * *


America's most wanted.
I've waited eagerly to see this for nearly a year now and was lucky enough to watch it last night. Being a massive fan of all things 1930s I couldn't wait to see how Michael Mann had encapsulated the time period and the characters. From the start the film gripped me, Depp was amazing as John Dillinger who robbed banks with his gang, earning himself the title of Public Enemy no 1. Christian Bale plays Melvin Purvis, the official whose task it is to capture him. Bale is also superb. Everything about this film is glamourous, the trilbies, the tommy guns and the clothing, but we are still treated to some pretty gastly and bloody scenes of full-on shoot outs between Dillinger's gang and the police. However much I'd like to deny it, the 1930s at this time is one of the places I longed to live in, including the terror and the mayhem, I probably would have done very well as a ganster's moll. We see Dillinger in a not unsympathetic way when he falls in love but also his other side which is hardened criminal of the justice system. I liked the balance of his character, and also the contrast to Bale's character.
Although over 2 hours this movie flew by for me and I totally loved it. I loved the story, the characters and the period. One of the best films of the year (or rather last year).

No comments:

Post a Comment