Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Frankie and Johnny - 1991 * * * * *


You never choose love, love chooses you.
Frankie and Johnny surprised me in more ways than I expected. I had imagined this film as one that didn't really showcase either of the main stars, and that had a barely interesting story that I doubted would hold my attention. In fact I found out that Al Pacino can actually do comedy, and pretty well in my opinion, and that Michelle Pfeiffer plays nearly every role I've seen her in with an amazing and capturing quality. You really can't seem to take your eyes off her on the screen. The story itself isn't amazing - a waitress and an ex con turned cook meet while working at a Greek coffee house and, though he is very interested in her, she keeps her distance from him at all costs but he doesn't know why.
I really enjoyed the film, even more so as it isn't one that is really talked about much as regards to good films, and so I feel in a way like I've found a hidden gem, which always makes for the best type of movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment